West View Park is a late 19th-century public park created on the site of a disused quarry, with distant views to the Pennine hills. Features include formal gardens, a terrace and an early-20th-century war memorial.
Two local businessmen, Mr H C McCrea and Mr E Robinson, proposed the creation of a park on Highroad Well Moor in around 1894. The Parks Committee Minutes do not refer to the design of the park; it is implied that the benefactors, McCrea and Robinson, undertook responsibility for the park’s layout and in July 1896 the park was opened.
The park occupies high ground looking south-west to the Pennines. Laid out on the site of a redundant quarry, the land falls steeply from north-east to south-west. The quarry face runs approximately parallel to the north-east boundary.
The park is enclosed on all sides. A 2-metre high dressed stone wall, of battered construction and with a substantial stone coping, runs for c 140m along the park’s north-east boundary with Warley Road.
On the park’s east and south perimeter, a rough stone retaining wall marks the boundary with Spring Hall Lane and Gads Hill respectively. The south-west and west margins of the park lie against the grounds of private houses, and are again bounded by stone walls.