On 22nd November 1872, Colonel Edward Akroyd, a leading business man and benefactor, promised to build Shrogg’s Park in Halifax.
The site was a rough, irregular piece of waste land, entirely barren at one end and at the other, thickly covered with dwarf oak scrub, from which the Park gained its name, and pieces of rock.
His plans almost came to nothing when the proposed Midland Railway scheme intended to build a line through part of what is now the Park. During a committee meeting of the House of Commons, Akroyd gave evidence of the measures he had undertaken so far and of his intention to provide a place for cricket, bowls, croquet, archery and other games.
On 25th June 1879, Colonel Akroyd handed the partially completed park over to the Halifax Corporation for the benefit of the town.
A list of conditions were attached to the generous gift:- the area was to be used only as a public promenade and recreation ground, and kept open during the whole year, including Sundays; that no charge be made for admission; that music and games be allowed under certain regulations; and that the Corporation spend a minimum of £1500 completing the Park and set aside an annual maintenance budget of at least £100 to keep the Park in a proper condition.
These days, the park is home to a number of events such as the annual Shroggs Party in the Park and more recently set up, the Halifax Park Run which is a FREE 5km timed run held in the park every Saturday.